I have the habit of playing Don Miller's weekend videos as I study my charts. A moment ago, I was doing just that, except that I was really focusing on making out the price patterns on yen futures during pre-US market open, and then I heard my name mentioned. D, who was playing online poker, turned to look at me, with his usual now-what-have-you-done-this-time expression written all over his face.
Anyway, here's Don's video for this weekend: VIDEO - The Weekend Trader
God works in mysterious ways indeed. I was telling Lord Tedders how I felt like I've hit the wall, and I've been fretting over not being able to find my centre. I looked everywhere for an answer, without really knowing what the question was in the first place. I thought maybe I needed to see more of how others trade. I would visit a forum, and I would get right out by the first page of a thread. I revisited my books, and would feel like throwing up whenever I come across a trading "receipe" with step-by-step instructions on how and where to get in and out, and the indicators to use.
I got so sick of reading the technical stuff, I went looking for what I call "pleasure reads". The first thing that came to mind was a "bamboo tree" that Don mentioned a couple of days back. Got curious, and went to check out his posting on the "Chinese Bamboo Tree".
I can't describe the impact this posting has on me. Words getting in the way.
All I can say is that it gave me my questions and the answers to them.
Earlier, I talked about going back to my older postings to find out what I had done differently last year. The assumption was that what I did back then was the best that I could have done. But here's exactly where I get all confused, over and over: if it was so good, why did it feel so wrong the whole time?
After reading the bamboo tree story, it hit me that I had grossly under-estimated the magnitude of my predicament. I hadn't a seed to plant. While others have theirs and are simply always either looking for more fertile grounds to plant it, or looking to change it for another, I've never had a seed to start with- never thought about it, never understood it. I have nothing to put my faith in. I haven't a systematic way of going about trading - sure I make plans and I have an idea where I would buy and sell, but I never know exactly where I would get out. I basically have been exiting as and when I feel I'm no longer comfortable staying in the trade. Trading has always been all about my FEELINGS. And my feelings is about the last thing that I'll put my faith in.
To cut a very long story short, I realized that the way I had traded last year was the worst way to trade. I've fooled myself into believing that a net postive year means that I must have been doing things right. But in trading, as in many other things in life, early successes have proven time and again to impede further growth, at best. The absolute worst that comes from small victories in the beginning is the laying of a path for very painful, if not fatal, falls in the journey ahead.
What I can say about my result last year is that it's consistent with the outcome of almost everything else that I've undertaken. I have very competitive blood. I must win. And I'll do whatever it takes to win. Sometimes, all I need to do is to believe that I WILL win, and I would. So far, so good.
But I'm cursed with an extremely short attention span. How that affects my ability to continually perform needs no elaboration.
The method with which I had used to achieve a certain ratio of winning to losing trades is not even a strategy within a systematic business plan. I hadn't the patience to come up with the latter before I got started. My approach was purely tactical. There is no blueprint, no roadmaps, not even the simplest of plans. My "plan" was simply to "GET IN".
Without something that I could, and was willing to trust, almost every trade has been placed at my discretion, and getting out has of course always been at my discretion and based totally on my very fallible emotions.
I personally know a few discretionary traders that are doing very well, consistently. These folks have little emotions when it comes to trading. It could have taken them years to get there. Maybe some are just blessed with extraordinarily tough minds. In any case, I'm certainly not one of them. I might NEVER become anything like them.
If I want to start getting on the track that I've never been on in the first place, I have to totally change the way I trade. It can no longer be discretionary. It's going to feel ALL wrong I have no doubt about that. I'll start asking myself again why I'm even doing this. I'll start thinking about all the floor traders who had made it by scalping, or by any other ways they can't explain in words coz so much of it is about trader's instinct.
But I'm determined to see this through. I will trade only in a way that I can actually describe in plain English.
For weeks now I have been comtemplating deploying a very simple trading plan, which I've never gotten down to executing. Short-sightedness is the main obstacle.
But I've made up my mind to either do it, or stop trading entirely. Monday on, I will trade a very different way. It's a way that no longer has its focus on achieving consistently winning days. High winning rates is going to be totally irrelevant. Thanks to Don - whose complaint about having no losing days finally made sense to me earlier TODAY - I now realize that I had gotten my focus all wrong. The questions I have been asking were all wrong, and had gotten me no where near to where my heart really wants to go.
Don mentioned both in his comment and his video that I had brought up the word "strong" in my comment. So I have had "strong", "Bamboo Tree", "Faith" ringing in my head the whole day. And I had to end the para before this with a "heart" in it....
I get your message, my Mighty One up there.
Anyway, here's Don's video for this weekend: VIDEO - The Weekend Trader
God works in mysterious ways indeed. I was telling Lord Tedders how I felt like I've hit the wall, and I've been fretting over not being able to find my centre. I looked everywhere for an answer, without really knowing what the question was in the first place. I thought maybe I needed to see more of how others trade. I would visit a forum, and I would get right out by the first page of a thread. I revisited my books, and would feel like throwing up whenever I come across a trading "receipe" with step-by-step instructions on how and where to get in and out, and the indicators to use.
I got so sick of reading the technical stuff, I went looking for what I call "pleasure reads". The first thing that came to mind was a "bamboo tree" that Don mentioned a couple of days back. Got curious, and went to check out his posting on the "Chinese Bamboo Tree".
I can't describe the impact this posting has on me. Words getting in the way.
All I can say is that it gave me my questions and the answers to them.
Earlier, I talked about going back to my older postings to find out what I had done differently last year. The assumption was that what I did back then was the best that I could have done. But here's exactly where I get all confused, over and over: if it was so good, why did it feel so wrong the whole time?
After reading the bamboo tree story, it hit me that I had grossly under-estimated the magnitude of my predicament. I hadn't a seed to plant. While others have theirs and are simply always either looking for more fertile grounds to plant it, or looking to change it for another, I've never had a seed to start with- never thought about it, never understood it. I have nothing to put my faith in. I haven't a systematic way of going about trading - sure I make plans and I have an idea where I would buy and sell, but I never know exactly where I would get out. I basically have been exiting as and when I feel I'm no longer comfortable staying in the trade. Trading has always been all about my FEELINGS. And my feelings is about the last thing that I'll put my faith in.
To cut a very long story short, I realized that the way I had traded last year was the worst way to trade. I've fooled myself into believing that a net postive year means that I must have been doing things right. But in trading, as in many other things in life, early successes have proven time and again to impede further growth, at best. The absolute worst that comes from small victories in the beginning is the laying of a path for very painful, if not fatal, falls in the journey ahead.
What I can say about my result last year is that it's consistent with the outcome of almost everything else that I've undertaken. I have very competitive blood. I must win. And I'll do whatever it takes to win. Sometimes, all I need to do is to believe that I WILL win, and I would. So far, so good.
But I'm cursed with an extremely short attention span. How that affects my ability to continually perform needs no elaboration.
The method with which I had used to achieve a certain ratio of winning to losing trades is not even a strategy within a systematic business plan. I hadn't the patience to come up with the latter before I got started. My approach was purely tactical. There is no blueprint, no roadmaps, not even the simplest of plans. My "plan" was simply to "GET IN".
Without something that I could, and was willing to trust, almost every trade has been placed at my discretion, and getting out has of course always been at my discretion and based totally on my very fallible emotions.
I personally know a few discretionary traders that are doing very well, consistently. These folks have little emotions when it comes to trading. It could have taken them years to get there. Maybe some are just blessed with extraordinarily tough minds. In any case, I'm certainly not one of them. I might NEVER become anything like them.
If I want to start getting on the track that I've never been on in the first place, I have to totally change the way I trade. It can no longer be discretionary. It's going to feel ALL wrong I have no doubt about that. I'll start asking myself again why I'm even doing this. I'll start thinking about all the floor traders who had made it by scalping, or by any other ways they can't explain in words coz so much of it is about trader's instinct.
But I'm determined to see this through. I will trade only in a way that I can actually describe in plain English.
For weeks now I have been comtemplating deploying a very simple trading plan, which I've never gotten down to executing. Short-sightedness is the main obstacle.
But I've made up my mind to either do it, or stop trading entirely. Monday on, I will trade a very different way. It's a way that no longer has its focus on achieving consistently winning days. High winning rates is going to be totally irrelevant. Thanks to Don - whose complaint about having no losing days finally made sense to me earlier TODAY - I now realize that I had gotten my focus all wrong. The questions I have been asking were all wrong, and had gotten me no where near to where my heart really wants to go.
Don mentioned both in his comment and his video that I had brought up the word "strong" in my comment. So I have had "strong", "Bamboo Tree", "Faith" ringing in my head the whole day. And I had to end the para before this with a "heart" in it....
I get your message, my Mighty One up there.
11 comments:
For me very important thing for something is why to do it in the first place. For example your trading, why do you trade? Why do you want to trade? What is so special in trading that you chose it over something else. Do you need the money? Do you want cash to do something with it? Do you need to be employed or self employed? Is it just a hobby, is it just way to fill out the time?
You can't move if you don't know where you are going. Goal got to be as direction so you can always stop look at it and continue in that direction. So you don't walk in one place.
Even in bamboo story says "You can work for weeks, months and even years on your dream", so that is crucial component. If something isn't quite clear with it for you, why do you do it then things can't work out. Many people just think that they know why they do something, like Ed Seykota in the wizards says everybody get's what they want. Maybe you are already getting what you really want and only think that you want something else like success in trading.
On the other hand if you know that big reason for all of it, things fall in place. Way to trade, everything than is there for you and you get results be it discretionary or any other way.
First things first, FX: thank you so much for the very thoughtful note.
Next, I want to kick you for asking me a very difficult question! LOL!
I never really thought about WHY I want to trade as much as I thought about WHAT I WOULD DO IF I DON'T TRADE.
But now that you got me thinking about it, I think I trade because it's simply an activity that engages me. The reading, the learning, the winning, even the losing, stir up something within me. When the only thing I can think about is trading, it makes living a lot easier. I used to go to bed wondering if I'll die in my sleep, EVERY night. I used to worry about many things. Now, my only worry is if I'm going to suck at trading today :-)
Ultimately I'll want to be able to live on trading income. That's what I want to work towards. For now, I just want to trade without feeling like I'm going on a roller coaster ride
hi,
I find your blog in the comments of Don Miller's blog
I was reading your notes on Thursday and again today.
I like your diary Jules!
one question: Juliana? celeste? Roberto cat?
are you really Asian? :)
the best bambu-trades for you!
greetings from Buenos Aires!
Max
This is an extremely important epiphany, Jules. It takes a lot of pain to reach this level of insight both in terms of money and emotions invested. We pay must pay dues to reach this stage, and as you stated the other day, some quit before even approaching this step, and really this is the first step towards higher learning.
I would caution however that this is not equivalent to a “breakthrough” as breakthroughs don't exist in trading – trading is a constant grind. Like a p/l statement, it is a journey of perpetual motion and constant growth. It gets harder from here, but at least we begin to understand the work involved at this stage.
Congrats and as always thanks for sharing.
Oh yes, 1 more comment. What scares me about this structure of learning is that it's entirely possible we're required to live through this stage many times. Such an environment is the product of a dynamic market.
How much more pain will we need to invest once the market changes from what it is, to what it will be, and will we discover, yet again, that what we thought worked no longer applies? Hence my recent post about "cocky traders". :oP
Hey Jules,
I'm genuinely glad you found Don Miller's post on his "Bamboo Tree" analogy- I remember the affect it had on me when I read it so I can imagine how much help it's been to you.
Alot of what you say here is very similar to feelings and realizations I've had in my own trading not so long ago.
Even though I don't know you, I have to say I'm really happy for you...that you've found this direction. You deserve it :)
MM
Having read your charts for several months now, I am sure that if you fit a strategy around the patterns you see, you'll do well. Oftentimes you find setups that could lead you to more than merely a scalp (although I think scalp could be defined in more ways, I mean you could probably pick off a few dollars on the ES with what you've written up).
I wish you success! Oh, and keep writing! Me gusta =)
time to bring home a 8 layers lucky bamboo tree to celebrate! :)
https://www.buyflower.com.sg/main/images/BF1010E_.jpg
Jules,
I'm loving Don's site, thanks for mentioning that.
I'm also pretty sure that you will find your seed soon. You are an amazing person. Don't give up on yourself.
LT
It seems to me Jules have planted seeds on two locations. One on good soil that is not so sunny, and one on bad soil that is very sunny. It seems to me that she wants to hang out on the less sunny location now, and water the seeds more. With faith, patience, sun, water, and proper nutrients, I believe one day the bamboo trees will breakout.
Ed:
You're terrible! You just described in mere lines exactly what took me more than 2 postings to convey! LOL!
LT:
I don't give up on myself. And I don't care that others don't believe in what I do. I always force them to accept it eventually! LOL! Oh yes, Don's diary is GOOD. A little bizarre at first, but once you get what he's saying, you'll find yourself wanting to get deeper into his head LOL! Thank you for your note, LT :-)
Cory:
Right, just buy. Why bother waiting for 5 years? LOL!
Ryan:
Thanks for your comment. Yes,holding is exactly what I'm attempting to do. Am still testing my setup though :-)
MM:
Thank you :-) Wonder how I missed the post earlier! :-)
MVW:
Yes, I'm prepared for a lot of pain to come. As Ed had pointed out, I'm anticipating dark clouds. But I want to give my good soil a chance..
Max:
I'm 100% Asian :-) But Alberto's British. Well, at least his ancestors are. He was born in Australia. Complicated...
Post a Comment