Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Reply to Cory & Michael



Michael,
If you really want to learn about how to apply Fib in a more practical way, check out Trader-X's blog. He uses Fib for both entry and exit. Very simple setup, but easier to apply on stocks, coz there're so many stocks with their own trends and patterns. For futures, those that fall under the same category have more or less the same charts. For instance, on a specific day, the 7th candle (on market open) of all the index futures will be an inside bar, or a hammer, and then the 14th will be stopped by the support/ resistance of the 7th candle, etc etc, or all will hit a full fib target (for ES, mostly 138.2 and 211.8 and TF is mostly 161.8 and 261.8 etc, depending on the seed you choose...) at around the same time.

Still, I strongly recommend that you take a look at Trader-X's charts. It's very enlightening to see how simple trading can actually be.

Cory:
Yes, I like Fib. I don't use it for its intended purpose that often - most use the levels to exit their trades. I use it to see how strong price is trending and coz I use both upward and downward fib once I get a swing high and low, I tend to use it to see which direction price is likely to test next. I used to use the Fib retracement levels for entries when I was trading TF. Not anymore. TF is no longer the TF I knew. It retraces whenever ES retraces. It used to have a character. Now it's just an ES follower. But it's good to trade coz of its tick value. LOL!

3 comments:

Charlie G. said...

I've been better able to follow the blogs of you and other future traders now way better since I paper traded a little bit the ES futures and look at the futures charts a couple times a day as well. Much thanks!

Just saw your post about Dr. Brett's trader personality quiz, been meaning to take that since that post of his....will be interested in hearing your reflections.

Jules said...

Oh, Charlie, I can't wait to put together my own profile!! The only thing I notice immediately is that I'm NOT neurotic after all! Hahaha!!

I'm happy that you understand what I've been writing. Don't let me influence you though. As you already know, I have very bad trading habits :-)

M said...

Thanks Jules! I'll check it out.