Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pilot

My 31-year-old baby brother is marrying Girlfriend #122 tomorrow. She's Korean, and is Seabloke's and my favorite (NOT because she's Korean). She actually COOKS!! Every meal!! Girls that cook are a dying breed in Singapore.

It's just amazing how your impression of certain people don't change over the course of time. Pilot's always been the 11-year-old timid and funny kid I knew before I left home for Canada. When I returned almost a decade later, Pilot was no longer small and timid. He was TALL!! And he no longer mumbled. He was a commando and a sniper, and had a reputation for being ruthlessly cold and sharp. His hands had grown much bigger than mine, and I loved to hold them in mine, and he would tell me that he had never held another hand that was coarser than mine (I washed my hands so frequently they literally bleed).

After national service, Pilot went on to do aeronautics engineering. 3 months prior to graduation, he decided to join the Singapore Airlines as a commercial pilot. Pilot always listens to him and himself only. No one can talk him out of doing anything that seems totally senseless to most people. He has my blood.

I am happy beyond description for my brother. He has had a very difficult - if not disturbing - childhood. Dad was going through a crisis, snapped, and nearly killed him. After Dad passed away, and our mother took off (I had no idea until I returned years later), he was like an orphan. Lucky for him, Seabloke was more motherly than a mother and raised him like her son. As a teenager, Pilot didn't have many friends. He kept to himself, and kept imaginary friends. As an adult, he had to move from places to places like a nomad. The first time he earned a real paycheque was after he completed his pilot training just before he turned 30. He's now a First Officer, and his paycheque is bigger than the last one I received. Moral of the story: don't bother finishing college, do something that you really, really love, take ridiculous bet in life (like NOT finishing the last 3 months of your 4-year degree to grab the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fly a plane, start a business, become the next American Idol etc, etc) and don't let others talk you into giving up your dream.

I will always remember Pilot's offer from just months back to live with me. He was actually going to get an apartment so I would have a place to live in the event that D and I didn't work out. Not a single question regarding how things got so bad was asked. Only a simple "I'm here" message. Very Pilot.

Granny waited so long to see tomorrow. Everyone wanted to see Pilot settle down, get his own family, find true love...BE NORMAL. Granny wanted these for him more than anyone else. She left half a year too soon. One of those pranks that life plays on us.

I'm happy.

I have a Korean sister-in-law!!!

She makes delicious Kimchi!!!

No comments: