Thursday, December 10, 2009

Oil, Long & Wrong & Skating Incident

I'm turning on comments for my heartthrob (HUGH DILLON) lookalike, Long & Wrong

Am not going to be trading for the rest of the week (ok, maybe just 100 - 200 shares of ETFs) anyway...

Comments on skating incident most welcome!

I had a scare today. Lost time and was trapped in a CL trade for what seemed like a century when oil inventory data was released. It was much easier to follow US time during their daylight saving period. For now, 10:30am ET is 11:30pm my time, and I keep losing track of data release time.

To cut a long story short, I was long CL and everything was good, I was making about 200 when all of a sudden, price disappeared from IB's booktrader. I hit "re-centre" and was astounded/appalled/petrified and felt totally screwed when my PnL column showed -500, then straight to -1000, all before I could blink my eyes ONCE. D was in the shower. When he got out, he was quiet. I was quiet. Got out at a place that's 15 cents (1.5 points) lower than my previous target. Price continued to soar a couple of points above my initial target (I was targeting for a 3-point target - where pivot was). But I was just glad I got out unscathed. The point plus profit's a bonus.

D put his ear on my chest, and was beyond amazed to hear NORMAL heartbeat.

Somehow, I'm the calmest when under severe stress. D asked why I hadn't gotten out when price plunged to -500. I replied that so far, I've never been killed by spikes. I die slow deaths.

Anyway, that's why I need my break. I think I've had a scare. My brain just didn't register I guess.

8 comments:

Solfest said...

If you would have had your comments on this am I was going to remind you of the report.

Cause you don't want to be standing in front of it.

:)

Enjoy the CL ride.

mvw said...

"then straight to -1000, all before I could blink my eyes ONCE"

Damn it, why can’t that ever happen the other way around :( but hey, you saved yourself some money today. :)

Jules said...

:-) Solfest!
Solitude does come with a heavy price :-)

Jules said...

Hahaha...MVW, when that happens, it's likely I'll overstay and see all my profits vaporized. Actually, I see this as a missed opportunity. Should totally have bought a contract or 2 as price was coming back up. :-)

Albert said...

That's weird. Isn't IB's booktrader supposed to readjust the price ladder once the last traded price moves out of your window? Maybe TWS was as confused as you were. I guess that's why I'm always hitting Ctrl-R ;)

As an aside, Jules, you don't have to be a hermit when you trade! That kind of life is only reserved for those wishing to invent kung-fu, which I think has already been invented.

Jules said...

Hahaha...! Albert, I do want to invent kung fu. After I graduate from trading 101 :-)

Yes, IB's price ladder does follow price. But I was faster yesterday :-)

You know, this is actually what the author of "Risk Management" (on my blogroll) calls "Yum" trades. Those that you'll only be able to see happening (or is it before it happens?) on platforms like X-Trader. All other platforms are simply not fast enough. I actually really contemplated buying another contract when my PnL was at -1000 plus. But I was wary of $70 (had I known that it will only spike to $72 before bouncing back up towards pivot and towards ceiling of broadening channel, I MIGHT have really entered a contract there. Ha.).

longandwrong said...

Whilst the comments have been closed I have learnt...

1. People who are meant to care for kids seem to demonstrate less care than would a random, un-involved stranger.

2. Seabloke writes a mean letter and (was I v.slow about this?) is not actually a bloke.

3.The most important and subtle conclusions are often well hidden... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8BANjmbsPGU/Sx9qZbLnOSI/AAAAAAAAD8s/whCQKkMpVF4/s1600-h/6E.JPG, Point 4.

4. Jules' pictures are captioned above not below the image. *Alberto* and I look like we were separated at birth :-)

Jules said...

LOL! UF!

Well, Seabloke can be quite manly. I mean, she fights swordfish and intimidates road bullies (men, and much much bigger than her). :-)

I would love to meet a talking Alberto!!!

Ahhh...that chart. Enlightening, isn't it? LOL!

Now that you've visited, I'm turning comments off again. It's just easier for me...I don't have to feel bad about not responding fast enough. Hur hur....