Friday, October 23, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

Been nursing Al for most part of the day. He's been throwing up and not eating much. He doesn't wait for me at the gate when I'm out for smoke breaks, and he's lethargic.

Al loves basking in the sun right by the floor-to-ceiling window in my bedroom. That's the platform for my bed. Each day, he'll spend sometime right in the middle of my bed, and sometime at the foot of the bed where the window is.

He's not been on my bed today. Whenever I put him on it, he will quickly get back down onto the platform. It dawned on me later that he didn't want to throw up on my bed.

So I laid out a huge towel for him on the platform, and placed his water next to him. I stroked him for a long time and he didn't purr. He usually purrs like a mini engine. I fell asleep right next to him, and about 2 hours later, I woke up and saw him staring at me, stretching himself at the same time. Next he looked at his water, and then at me. And then at the water again, and then at me again, with his typical "How about some food??" expression.

I gave him his favorite kidney diet (prescribed diet for felines with a not too perfect kidney). Al loves the canned version which I try to limit him to just ONE can per day, and make him take the dry version so that he will DRINK. The dry version is also good for his teeth. He's already had dental surgery twice, and I think I will get a heart attack if he has to go for a 3rd. My heart sinks everytime I know they are giving him anesthesia.

So after feeding Al, and after giving him a short massage by the window, I took a look at my charts for the first time in about 8 hours and saw this:

6B 5min
That death drop of 28 points started at 3:50am ET and is still going strong now (5:45am ET). UK's 4:30 news must have triggered it.

It's drastic moves like this that remind me that hard stops are good for me, since I frequently/constantly lose track of time.

Haven't put on a single trade for the day. Took a look at IB's TWS, and saw that my DIG position wasn't looking so good (down to 121 from 185). Some guy just put in an order to sell it at 90 BUCKS per share (closing price was about 38.80 if I remember correctly). Perhaps I can sell mine at 89??

6 comments:

M said...

Poor Al, I have a 20 year old male who went through a period of throwing up and not eating. It took a while to figure out what was wrong. Hope he gets better soon, it's stressful when they get that way.

Jules said...

Thank you, Michael :-)

Yes, I know you love your cats so much you allow them on your workstation and you adopt strays :-)

It takes someone like you to understand how I feel.

Most around me think I'm crazy to love cats more than I love people. Perhaps I really do care more about my cats, but that's only coz they are defenseless. People can talk to convey what they need. Animals can't.

Al has a liver infection months ago and was hospitalized. I'm afraid that it's a relapse. Called my vet and monitoring him closely. I'm lucky I have a really kind doctor who was always willing to open the clinic on weekends just for my Alberto. :-)

Has everything been ok for you as far as trading goes?

M said...

Jules,

Don't let anyone tell you it's crazy to get so attached to animals. I've noticed that people who are really into animals tend to be far more caring and compassionate people, with both other people and animals too.

Having a good vet is priceless, they're hard to find, it's good that you found one.

As far as trading goes I've been simming mostly the last two months. I spent a lot of time analyzing my trading from the past year. Those times when I properly follow the rules and criteria that make up my system I'm profitable most of the time.

It's easy for both others and myself included to come to the conclusion that my overall approach is bad, judging by my trades. If you look at the documents I put together for myself outlining the criteria I'm looking for and the examples I post to use as a visual reference, it's really sad to see how few of my trades actually resemble what I was suppose to be looking for.

In the end, it's the psychological part of trading that's my biggest weakness, and that's really my main focus right now. If I can get my head screwed on straight I'll be alright. :)

Jules said...

Michael,
You're not alone. Many who have no other source of income face the same challenge. Maybe trading small to build confidence is something you might want to experiment with? By small I mean something that's not leveraged. It helps when you can give your trade more room to move. The returns might or might not be smaller, depending on how much you let profits run. But at least you won't have to worry about margins and such. Just a thought.

M said...

That's not a bad idea Jules, but in the end I just need to toughen up. The risk I'm taking now is such a small percentage of my risk capital, there's really no excuse.

It'll all work out, sooner or later.
:-)

Is Al feeling any better?

Jules said...

Yes, Michael, Al's eating, and bossy again LOL! Thank you for asking :-)
Cheering for you. Be brave! :-)