Friday, October 23, 2009

Trades (DXD & DIG) 10/23 (Fri), My Watchlist & Profit Target Table

On D's advice, I let go of half of my DIG holding at yesterday's high 2 hours before market opened (I had wanted to either release ALL or not do anything until market opened). For remaining half, I had moved stop to level indicated on chart below, which was hit when market started plunging.

DIG 133- Ticks
After market opened, I thought of buying Ultra Short S&P again initially, but thought DOW would be a better gauge for now. So I bought the Ultra Short Dow instead. Was watching DOW more than I was watching DXD the whole time and each time DOW broke new low, I would defer covering, until DOW hit new low for the 3rd time.

DXD (Utra Short Dow) 133-Ticks

PnL (Net): +USD 131.25

It's not a lot. But it's been EXTREMELY stress-free. D thought I would buy at least 200 shares of DXD. I didn't coz I've never touched DXD before, and really, this is only the 6th day that I've traded non-leveraged products for my own account. I'm not used to paying for things in full yet. Ha Ha.

D is the best. He created this (all formulas configured so all I need to do is to fill in my actual results, and change the targets as and when I feel I'm ready) for me so I can take a look at it everyday while I record my daily results (starting Nov 1 2009), and be really motivated to TAKE IT SLOW:


Updated List of instruments & tickers I'm watching now:

Futures

ETFs

ETFs (Ultra Shorts & other Bear Market ETFs)

Forex

6 comments:

mvw said...

Nice work, Jules. Those spreadsheets should really help keep things in perspective from day to day.

Also, your chart list now looks like a spaceship command center. How many monitors do you use to track all your instruments? And do you use audile alerts? Tracking all of those is a skill in itself.

I currently have 3 monitors, 1 dedicated to stocks and etfs and pretty much looks like your charts, the other two are my “driver seat” windshield dedicated to futures.

Sean said...

$1 per-side for 1 lot of ProShares!? That just blows me away... Is that with IB or with Infinity-AT?

Damn, TOS charges $5.

Jules said...

:-) MVW, I have 3 screens but they are not enough! I definitely need sound alerts! LOL!

Seriously, I do. But I'm clueless as to how I'm going to go about programming them. I don't use indicators and I think it's going to be a challenge finding someone to write a script for me :-)

Do you know of anyone you can recommend?

Jules said...

Hi Sean :-)
It's IB. $1 is minimum charge. I think it's 50cents for every additional 100 shares. I'm not sure coz it's only lately that I started trading ETFs.
TOS has always been a little more expensive. IB has always offered the most competitive rates for daytraders. Others offer very good rates for those who trade huge volume (my aunt's broker charges $7 bucks for every order regardless of size, for instance). But TOS and IB are both reliable and brokers.

mvw said...

Jules, I don't write script neither, but the only type of alerts I need are price alerts.

On IB's new and improved charts you can set alerts by using trend lines. Put in a trend line, right click the line, then "attach alert".

But I know you trade off candle formations so this may be too simplistic.

Jules said...

Thank you, MVW :-) I have no idea IB has that on their charts! Who would have thought? :-) Looks like I really have to spend some time on that 500 (or is it 700) pages of instructions :-)
I think maybe I'll need java scripts for what I want. Or simply longer timeframe so I have time to scan all my charts :-)