Friday, August 22, 2008

Long Live The DOW!

I always think I'm going to die young, mainly because dying young seems to be the trend in my family. My father passed on in his 40s, so did my aunt and my uncle, and a close cousin. They killed themselves.

Putting aside hereditary (chemical imbalance??) factors, my lifestyle alone is enough to kill me slowly.

I smoke, live in a space that's air-conditioned 24 hours a day, hardly see the sun, hardly exercise anymore other than doing my daily push-ups (I've dropped skating, pilate and kickboxing all together ever since I found myself stuck to my chair and in front of my computer screens), hardly see other human beings, take no coffee or tea (I read somewhere that these are actually good for me??!), frequently took more pills than the dosage prescribed because I couldn't keep track of what I've taken, frequently took the wrong pills, sleep too little, have a heart that beats almost 100 times per minute on average, steadfastly skip all my yearly body examinations, and drive like a maniac.

My only consolation is that, longevity seems to run in the family too. Both my grand dads died in their 90s, and both died in their sleep. They were both perfectly healthy until, well, the day they passed on. My dad's mum is now in her 80s, and has a clearer mind than me. My mum's mum was killed by a nurse when she was in her 30s (she overdosed her with sedatives), a cousin died in the Pam Am air crash, another went over the Niagara falls...so I count those as accidents... Most of my other relatives are living healthy.

I may be a tad naive to go along with this, but it comforts me: and that is that as long as I don't kill myself intentionally or accidentally, and as long as I stay away from doctors and nurses, airplanes and holidaying, I should at least live to see DOW hit 20,000?

:-D

Now, if I ever REALLY, REALLY want to know for how long I'm going to be sticking around, I might just consider using this to get a ballpark figure.

LOL

1 comment:

seabloke said...

My life expectancy is 80.86
and they say if i do all of the adopted things, i can live 6.95yrs longer.
They gotta be kidding!! I want to shorten it!!