Saturday, August 23, 2008

D, The Beautiful ER2 Open Interest Chart & U of A

This is the work of a professional:

For almost 2 weeks now, I've been working on coming up with something visual that D can use , and I came up with this pathetic looking table:


I told D that I've been seeing a clear relationship between open interest, volume and price. From the charts we've been using for trading, we can see volume and price bars, but no open interest bars. D asked why I haven't converted the data from my table above into bars.

I said I would if I knew how to. I'm an EXCEL idiot.

So D began working on my table and in a matter of minutes, produced a very decent looking open interest chart (see above).

I'm impressed.

D is, afterall, a computer engineer by training. Well, I can't be blamed for not remembering, coz he's been a banker for the longest time.

How could I have forgotten that 17 years ago, we were classmates in the Engineering faculty at the University of Alberta? It was our first year, and among the 200 over students in the lecture hall, less than 10% were girls, and there were maybe 3 asians? I was one of them so naturally, D and his friends noticed me. And of course when I disappeared after a year, they noticed too.

I lasted only a year in Engineering, not because I did badly for my engineering and physics classes. I excelled in them. But what I couldnt' do was FORTRAN, the dumbest programming language I've ever come across. I dropped out of engineering coz I needed to pass Fortran to go on to year 2, but FORTRAN's logics' just beyond me. It was much later on that I realized that the reason that I sucked at FORTRAN was becoz I was not good with logics.

So there you go, I am by nature, an illogical person. I was naturally attracted to anything that defied logics.

But after being with D for 15 years, I find myself now a more logical person than him. And definitely COLDER.

Hur Hur Hur....

No comments: