Monday, July 21, 2008

Tribute to My Trading Coach, Simply the Best Coach in Basics of Trading

Warning: This is a long posting (what's new??). For those who just want to know where to find a good coach who doesn't burn a hole in your pocket, please scroll right to the end of this posting.

This coming Wednesday will be lesson 19 of M's class. One more class to go and it completes the syllabus.

As I was going through his presentation slides for lesson 19 on Inside Bars, I was amazed by its clarity. One almost doesn't have to attend the class to make sense of the chapter. The slides are mostly charts that identify the inside bars. Then there are charts that show you WHERE exactly to enter and WHERE exactly to place a stop loss.

Although the presentation includes another broader topic - Fibonacci - it does not confuse. Because of the way the syllabus is structured, M's students would have already become familiar with Fibonacci by now. Support and Resistance was thrown in, along with oscillator indicators.

And what you have is a blueprint of where to enter a trade WITH CONFIDENCE, provided that you FOLLOW THE RULES.

M stands out from his counterparts in the region. He REALLY teaches the fundamentals of trading. His syllabus is truly designed for novices. The simplicity of the setups he shares and the step-by-step guidance are a godsend for people who are so new to trading it's not unreasonable or insulting to label them as "idiots".

I started off as an idiot. The course I took prior to M's was designed for those who have been trading for a while, but for some reasons (usually a result of having learnt from self-proclaimed gurus who are more idiotic than the average idiots), were totally slaughtered by the market and had sought the help of my previous trainer. It was not the right course for me although it teaches the basics of trading. For someone who has never entered the market, I needed something even more basic.

6 months after graduating from my first trading course and after having done a lot of reading on topics that even some professional traders can't be bothered with eg. Elliot Waves, and I became quite an expert in indicators after having done extensive research and backtesting on them. Yet I had little experience on TRADING itself. I was kinda "forced" into the real battlefield by D, who was getting quite fed-up with my very academic approach towards trading.

And it was around the time that I was also beginning to wonder why I am so afraid to trade. Yes, I know that I hate to lose and that's probably one of the reasons. But there's something else. I knew I was missing out something.

It was then that a friend who was attending M's class, even though he was already helping to coach my previous trainer's class, recommended that I check out M's class.

I did. And I have to say that M was truly refreshing. He speaks melodiously. Calm and confident, he was not my idea of the typical daytrader. My idea of a serious daytrader has to be unkempt, edgy, and shows a reluctance to teach coz he would rather be trading than teaching. But M showed me enough during his preview to convince me he was who I was looking for to teach me THE fundamentals of trading.

I needed to know how exactly to ENTER A TRADE. WHERE, WHEN, HOW. I would have looked like a complete idiot had I asked in my previous class coz EVERYONE seemed to know where to enter a trade. I might know all the setups, the indicators, what moves the market, recognize patterns that signal a reversal or continuation of a trend. Hell, I can even laugh at authors who write about how useless oscillator indicators are coz I recognize the periods they were making reference to were trending periods, where oscillator indicators, being oscillator indicators, will just stay in oversold or overbought region.

But I don't know where in the world to place my entry.

And I was beyond grateful on the day that M taught the class exactly where to enter a trade. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the 2 huge candles on the slide with the lines indicating where you enter and where you put your stop.

Breathtakingly amazing.

Truly for both newbies and traders without actual trading experience, like me.

I know that over time, trading does become more arts than science. But for a bona fide trading novice, M's step-by-step guidance at least gives him/her the confidence to GET STARTED.

I'm not one of those who love living on the edge (Yes I drive fast, but I am at my most alert when I drive and I know every intended move of the drivers around me). In many aspects of my life, I need a blueprint for everything. I tread carefully and I strive for precision in executing my plans . Same goes for trading. I need to know precisely where to enter before I will step into the war zone (I am not delusional though. I don't think that a good entry will guarantee a winning trade. In fact, I've stopped looking at trading from the perspective of winning or losing a trade. But more on that in a separate blog entry.).

Back to M's class.

M's class is designed to get you started on where the real action is: in the market. Without stepping out of the academic/theoretical mode into the market, you will never get the experience you need to practise and sharpen your skills, and you'll never become a successful trader.

Before looking at M's presentation notes for lesson 19, I thought I knew Inside Bars. After going through his presentation, I realized I knew only the definition but not the application of inside bars in real-life trading.

I began to go back to look for his notes on topics that I've become very familiar with eg. Fibonacci, divergences, etc. I hadn't even taken a look at them after I missed those classes (I must have missed half of his course because of conflicts in schedule...long story...)

I am SO going to go back for his make-up classes (once his student, forever his student. You can go back for his lessons as many times as you want and you have Wednesday, Thursdays and Fridays to choose from) on these topics that I thought I had mastered. I have mastered the theory but I'm impressed by how much M knows how to USE them in his trades, through his near 20 years of trading experience.

And Michael loves to teach. I asked him how he does it - to have to be at a certain place (in class) for all his Wedesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He laughed and said he actually looked forward to his classes. It's not a chore for him. It's his PASSION to teach.

For those who have been trading for a while and still struggling coz you haven't a clue as to what you are doing, M is possibly THE person who can help you.

Although the PIONEER in the field, M charges a fee that is not just reasonable, but amazingly affordable. I don't want to use the word "cheap", because that is the last word I would use to describe his course, which is packed with value.

Let's just say his course is really VALUE FOR MONEY.

And this is the part that M is probably not going to like very much but I'm going to do it anyways:

Go google on "Trading For a Living" and check out M's course.

:-D

No comments: