Sunday, July 6, 2008

Shell

This is NOT an entry about SHELL the oil company.

Shell is what my home is to me.

This blog entry is about my new home (I have to give Seabloke some incentives to check in here now and then...she's complaining that my blog's getting very BORING)

I love my new home.

Ok, that's an understatement.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new home!

This 100 square meters living area totally confused the curtain guys (all of whom I like to call the "blind men" coz I have more blinds than curtains...haha...yup, EVIL's moi's middle name....) when they first came in. They couldn't identify the rooms; they couldn't find any, in the first place.

That's because all the walls within the unit, with the exception of the one that forms the building's pillar, have been hacked. In their place I've put in 1) a glass door & panel, 2)a dark wooden sliding door (which is actually the door of my mammoth study cabinet and 3) NOTHING.

The men were looking for my bedroom, which was concealed behind the studies.

My study room - my favorite hangout - is separated from the main living space by a glass panel and door that are usually wiped so clean by my cleaning lady that you probably won't be able to make them out, visually, until you knock your nose (or your forehead, whichever is the one that's jutting out) against it.

On most days, I would "unhide" my bedroom and open all my blinds and curtains. The unit becomes a bright and spacious studio.

Did I mention that my home has only 2 colors?

Black and pale lilac. My favorite colors.

In black are: the flooring, the cabinets and wardrobes, the sofas, the settees, D's lazy day-bed, the piano, the platform bed (from where I can see the entire night sky with its twinkling stars when i lie down to sleep - I live high enough to not have any buildings block my view), etc.

In pale lilac: my walls

Everything else that's not black or lilac is glass. Well, except for Al and Keisha. Al is bluish gray, and Keisha is beige.

I know Seabloke thinks my home is COLD. But that's the way I like it, and COLD is so ME.

I've never liked the warm and earthy colors that Seabloke loves - the brown, the orange, the red, the yellow-beige - and I don't really fancy bright colors (the only bright-colored thing in my home is a bright green stool which serves one key purpose: for my little nieces to sit on when they take off and put on their shoes during their visits).

And I utterly hate clutters. The fewer things to get in my way as I move around the house, the better. Hence there's absolutely no loose, dangling decoratives or displays - everything is mounted on the wall and all things that are not fixtures are hidden from view. The place is designed to allow lots of space for Al and Keisha to dash around wildly without having to make an e-brake every 2 meters.

My home is a model of what I want my life to be - clean, cool and bright, with lots of space, no messy clutters, no standing ornaments to trip me nor delicate displays to maintain. My curtains and blinds are made of pure synthetic material (D likes to call it "non-organic") - I made sure they are, coz I don't want anything eating and growing on them.

Yes, I have to agree whole-heartedly with Seabloke (ok, honey, I know you've never said it, but I can see it written all over your face :-) ) that my home is cold. But like I said before, and I cannot emphasize this enough: I LOVE it COLD.

I've gone through enough to appreciate a colorless life. Everything I'm looking at now gives me the visual comfort that I cannot find any place else.

Besides, I do get my healthy and regular dose of color and warmth - from Seabloke, my darling nieces, Pilot, and Ken.

And occasionally, I get more warmth than I ask for from D. But those are more aptly called "fires" - the kind that you FIGHT.

:-D

No comments: