One of the reasons I love my new home is its central location. It's an irony that being somewhat of a hermit, I've always chosen to live within, or just a few minutes' drive from, the business district. For up to a decade that I was in Edmonton, I've lived within the business centre.
Where I'm living now is so near to where our National Day Parade (NDP) will be held, that I get to see our air force rehearse their stunts whenever I'm home - which is, like, every time they have a rehearsal. Yes, I'm always home.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fighter planes. Had I not suffered from severe myopia since I was a child, I might just have joined Pilot at the youth flying club.
But as I was growing up, and I can't recall at all now how and when it happened, I developed an intense fear of being in the air (Little wonder that I never once flew back in the last 5 years that I was in Edmonton. While for the first 5 years I came back at least once a year mostly for my Dad's sake, I saw no reason to come back after he passed on). So there goes my dream of ever flying a plane.
So, anyways, Pilot managed to maintain his perfect vision and grew up aspiring to join the air force. Strangely, he ended up in Commando camp instead. Today, he's a commercial pilot. A really mischievous one. Seabloke and I are still very tickled by this that he's been YEARNING to say over the intercom:
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking (another thing that really baffles Pilot is why all captains have to identify themselves as "SPEAKING" :-D). It's been a pRessure having you aboard the XXXX. We hope you've had a nice fRight."
My baby brother, one of the few things in my life that I love with all my heart.
Like me, Pilot is COLD by default. We hardly talk (by that I mean both to each other , and with other people). But when we do get together, we talk about things that others simply can't get excited over. Things that intrigue us don't seem to interest anyone else. Well, maybe except for Seabloke. But I'm darn sure that a topic like the mathematical model of life will send even Seabloke running for cover...
It's bizarre, but with our National Day just around the corner, I've been thinking about Pilot a lot. I could have just picked up the phone to call and find out how he's doing, instead of missing him. But that's just not us. I could have asked him out for dinner. But get-togethers with Pilot happen only a few times a year - his birthday, Seabloke's, and mine; Christmas; Chinese New Year, and on occasions when Seabloke decided that it was time for the 3 of us to catch up.
National Day also reminds me of my former workplace. It's been a year now since I quit the force to find myself. I miss SPF. I miss my superiors - Supt B and DAC J. I miss my colleagues - DSP Daniel, DSP C.Razario, ASP Tze Ai, David, and many others. Most of all, I miss Dawn, who's now a TEACHER! It's been only a year, and a few of my ex colleagues have gone on to do different things. Fan has joined the private sector...boy, I really, really miss Fan. Those happy Traffic Police days...
Ok, I'm getting nostalgic. Something that's been proven to be really bad for my health.
There's something about Seabloke's birthday...Oh, but that was yesterday...
Apologies, Seabloke! You can't blame me. I HAVEN'T BEEN HEARING FROM YOU!! FOR 24 HOURS NOW!!
:-D
No comments:
Post a Comment