Thursday, December 18, 2008

FX Trades 12/18 & TF

FX

7 positions:


Long: EUR, NZD, CHF, AUD, CAD

Short: USD, JPY, GBP

Am giving the pairs some room to move.

Update (adjusted stop for GBP/CHF...what blunder):



TF



Hopelessly slow.

Doesn't really matter that it looks as if it's attempting to make a 2nd measured move up. Slow sucks.

Resistance at yesterday's high and the generally flat market is keeping me from BUYING. Flat MA needs to stop staying flat.



Hammer on 10min chart.

I always trust a hammer.

But I trust speed more.

RUT has been showing relative strength over DOW, SPX, and NDX consistently for 3 sessions now.

Is that a good thing? I don't know. Maybe not. It's not lifting the others up, and they can't bring it down. Actually, it looks more like a case of lack of leadership. DOW's not leading, and RUT can't decide if it wants to be a sheep or a shepherd.

Is everyone just going to sit back and wait for expiration?

If that's the case then I'm much better off hitting the sack now.

6 comments:

andrewunknown said...

Well that was a fabulous set of positions. I asked what pair you had opened a short on GBP under after your comment without thinking to look here first - bit of an oversight on my part! But now I see it was GBP/CHF (my second favorite pair - except for on those days I hate it), and with an 1100 pip stop. Don't know what to say to that, except "generous". :-D Well, okay; I did see the update. Seems your day(s) was longer than mine!

Jules said...

US market starts when many folks here are just about to turn in, and closes when they rise. I'm kinda like a vampire. I sleep during the day. My days are long when I have to meet normal folks who sleep at night. :-)

So, what kept you up, Andrew?

Yup, 1100 pip stop was a stupid mistake...

andrewunknown said...

I kept odd hours at one point. After going back to work a couple of years ago, while I was still sorting through how to change my trading rhythm to accommodate a 10-11 hour break in accessibility I would wake up (spontaneously, when it happened; never disciplined enough to do that by alarm) during Frankfurt/London. On ET here living in the Midwestern US, so that meant 2 a.m.-5 a.m. usually.

Feasible, but I'm an 8-hour minimum kind of guy, so by the end of the day I would end up a little zombified. Besides, I found it difficult to switch between day trading with more orders/ smaller targets and the long day trades/swing trades that are now typical of what I do. Which is a compromise I'm willing to accept, mostly because it means my body doesn't wake itself up in the middle of the night any longer.

Yesterday wasn't long as the clock goes, but seemed interminable. I'm not permitted to discuss what I do because of compliance restrictions, but suffice it to say year-end (and it's not tax-related!) is hellish. Once I'm home and the highly assertive, highly motivated, highly involved, highly communicative work persona winds down, it's like crashing after a half-dozen espressos wear off.

That's me, anyway: I'm a living, breathing paradox. Sometimes a misanthrope, others very socially adept and engaged; sometimes incredibly productive working at many things at once, others a complete slugabout (I think today will be one of the latter). I'm not an extrovert (which came as a surprise when I figured it out), so dealing with many people for a sustained period is an adverse situation that leaves me very worn out.

Better wrap this up or I'll begin jotting down my biography. Taking in your older posts a bit at a time, finding that I filter through the market stuff to see where the personal narrative's going. And admirable dedication to trading: on the face of it, I think you've got the analytical wherewithal and passion to really succeed.

Jules said...

Wow, Andrew...
I guess I finally found my match :-)
Would really love to chat but gotta turn in now. I've 4 hours to sleep. Fortunately that's all I need. Half of yours LOL!!
Will email you.
Happy trading! :-)

Jules said...

Andrew, I can't find your email address on your blog. Would you drop me a mail so that I can capture your address please?

andrewunknown said...

I'd be glad to; meanwhile I'll revel in the mystery that is an email from Jules. Until it gets here. And maybe then I'll revel in more mystery.