In my pre-market analysis yesterday, I said that as far as the week goes, GS is going to be trading within a confined range of 167 - 184. And if it breaks out of 184, it might just have enough momentum to hit 203.5.
I also said that it's possible GS could trade up at yesterday's session, as the market seemed rather upbeat over the drop in the price of oil.
At the time of my journaling, Brent Crude futures was down just $1.75, and as I mentioned, I expected it to continue to drop further because of the bearish patterns (bearish engulfing pattern at top of uptrend; bearish MACD divergence) I noticed on its chart:

I was not expecting GS to follow the general trend of the market (ever so often, it displays its own trend), but I was willing to be flexible given the very bullish mood in the market then.
And that was all before I caught the news about the regulations that Fed announced it was going to impose...which hit the finance industry, in particular, GS, really hard. This was how much worse GS did compared to her counterparts:

In any case, when yesterday's session began, DOW was going up, up and up, and GS looked set for on a free fall (it did pause now and then on its way down - by consolidating - and only rallied during the last half hour of the entire session).
By then, of course I had gotten wind of the bad news that hit the financials. Actually 2 hours before market opened I did. I told D that I might have to buy against the direction of where I said GS would go for the day, effectively breaking a promise to myself that I wouldn't do that.
But then again, as I said in my earlier entry, whatever analysis I've done, I'm ready to change my views whenever new information surfaces that warrants my reassessing what I've thought and said prior to that.
On top of that, I always keep the big picture in mind.
At the back of my mind is always a huge grisly bear engulfing GS, drooling all over her and waiting for the right time to consume her.
Hence, I bought puts throughout. 3 scalps that I showed in my previous entry.
The 5-min chart that I look at for scalping & daytrading:

At the appearance of a hammer (look for candle in a red box in the chart above) at 1pm EST , whose low incidentally sat on my fib 161.8, I waited for GS to rally coz I wanted to take the ride down if it ever rallied up to 172.3 (where the tip of the upper shadow of a shooting star was touching - more on shooting star later).
But the market had turned so bearish (thanks to financials) by then that even a hammer (2 in fact, side by side) couldn't do much for GS, and it found resistance at Fib 138.2 %.
2 spinning tops sent GS back down but I was not ready to enter a put.
Hammers have an effect on me. I respect supports that come from a hammer at the bottom of a strong down move.
I wanted GS to break down below the support at 161.8 (where the hammer sat), come back up again in the form of a healthy rally, hit what I saw as a key resistance from the shooting star I mentioned above (refer to GS' 5min chart and look for the candle in a blue box), and then I would take the ride down from this top.
"You've exceeded your target for the day, let's turn in early", said D, after I told him my plan.
D probably didn't think a rally is going to happen.
But I expected it to, coz there had been only one very meagerly profit taking before 1pm EST - after the completion of each bullish pattern, which would otherwise have encouraged buying, GS merely went sideways - and I found it hard to believe that there would not be a real rally at least once for the session.
But I went to bed anyway.
And this morning, it was D who went to check the charts the first thing after he got up.
"It happened! At 3:35pm EST! You would have had to wait til then!" He reported excitedly from our study's as I was struggling out of bed.
"Dear, I used to trade in that window, whenever you were sound asleep".
*&$%#@%&*@#(*!
It would have been a nice ride down, as I would have stayed in the trade longer, letting my profits run. Why the confidence?
Coz what halted the rally was an engulfing pattern. Most importantly, the engulfing pattern validated the resistance produced by THE shooting star from 1240pm - the one I had counted on to put a robust ceiling over the bulls. It was a resistance level that I would have trusted.
I accept that trading involves risks, and that losses are inevitable and are part of the cost of doing this business. What I don't, and will never accept, is the taking of unnecessary risks. To go short on a stock that has tested an unconfirmed resistance just once, is, to me, not too different from betting on a horse that has just won its first race.
But in the event that I have taken all the necessary steps to defend my trades, and still make a loss, I would accept that particular loss and take whatever learning lessons it has to offer (sometimes, there's just nothing to learn coz the reason behind a losing trade might not surface immediately, or ever, and I also accept that).
Well, I'm happy with my 3 winning trades, and, 4 hours of beauty sleep.