Monday, June 30, 2008

GS Story

On GS 27 Jun 08 (Fri)

After posting my entry at around 2am, GS went fairly flat and finally consolidated half an hour before market closed. Even though it moved up and down within a narrow range from 2:20am to 3:35am, I had chosen not to enter because the setup I was waiting for simply never appeared.

On the few occasions that D spotted an opportunity for entry, I would point out the reasons that I would not enter if I were him. It's simple for me: Once I see 2 elements that ruin my "perfect" setup, I'll stop counting and just not trade. More often than not, I welcome the chance for a break and will happily go for a stretch or a nice, warm shower.

I don't care about "missed opportunities". It's happened so many times: a nice long trend developed and I didn't do a thing. I know for a fact that had I gone in and made a killing, it would have had been a fluke if I had gone in without first seeing the setup for a proper entry.

GS Story


Anyways, at 9am on Sat (28 Jun), as I was about to do an AAR (After Action Review) on Fri's session, I noticed that D looked like he was rejuvenated enough for a brief tutorial on MACD. So I scrapped my idea of doing an AAR (ok, in all honesty, I doubt I had really wanted to do it in the first place...) and showed him how to identify divergences on monthly, weekly and daily charts.

About 2 hours into the session, D's attention started to dwindle and I was also getting really tired of listening to my own voice.

That was when I decided that putting everything in writing for him would be a better idea.

Something I forgot to mention- I had used a story-telling approach as I went about showing D the trends of GS since 1999 (when it went public). For me, charts always tell me stories. They are very much alive to me and I can look at them for hours and hours without taking my eyes off the screen. I draw lines and channels on them and insert comments and labels and I usually have to capture my messy charts and save them before clearing all the drawn items to draw new things for a different perspective on the same chart.

And below's a screenshot of my crazily chaotic GS daily chart for the period spanning Sep 07 - 27 Jun 08. This is the chart I'm using to tell D the story of GS when it was being traded during that particular period.

No comments: