Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Silence & Solitude

Am taking time off from the market. Since mid 2007, I've been lost, and in search of interesting things/human beings to keep my mind occupied. I'm an all-or-none person, and life doesn't treat someone like me well.

But I can't change me.

So, I'm still going to go ahead and quit trading for a while.

I'm not even going to look for a job. And I've been rejecting castings. I have no idea what I want to do. But I definitely know what I don't want to BE - an OBJECT.

I need to clean up my messy life and start doing my quiet time again. The last time I had my daily quiet time was in 2007. No wonder I was lost after that.

When I'm back writing again, I hope I've at least found myself...and, preferably, a full-time job too.

19 comments:

Lord Tedders said...

Jules,

Good luck finding yourself. Remember to trust what your heart tells you.

LT

Charlie G. said...

I'll miss ya, and looking forward to reading your musings again.

I'm finding it hard to juggle life and trading. As in all things, I'm trying to find "balance".

Peace,
Charlie

TST said...

Jules

may be u need to use soft relaxing music when you are trading...planes used to play soft music during take off and landing ... just google internet for free music.

When I am losing, I still follow the market but not trading..maybe up to 2 or 3 months. I found that if I'm totally lose connection with market, it was hard to start all over again.

Another suggestion for next trades, use trailing stop , it will conserve your energy to focus on entry only.

Waiting trader @ TSTrader

JE said...

Jules, I'm not going to offer any suggestions. I'm just sorry to see your pain. I have been there too. I have quit in fits of despondency many times only to return. This is a damned hard game. I think that's a big part of the attraction. I understand the emotional pain that losing can inflict, and I wish you the best as you process it and decide on next steps. Your journey is yours, and you're obviously extremely bright, so I know you'll figure it all out. Be well. JE

longandwrong said...

I've sat here trying to think of the right thing to say and I am not sure I can find the appropriate words (it is 2AM!). "I hope it all works out" seems a bit trite but is at least accurate.

UF.

Solfest said...

Jules if you want to trade you need to go sim and stay sim until you have 100 trades with one pattern. No deviation allowed. Build the statistical database. If the numbers add up flip the switch and keep doing what you’re doing.

This comes from a graduate of the change my plan every 10 seconds school for the mentally challenged.

If you don’t want to trade, don’t.

Life is probably better on the outside anyway.

sage08 said...

Jules, you're doing the one right thing by seeking the Lord. I know your life will be fine so long as you seek Him out. God uses personality like yours for greater things. Pls continue to write about your life post trading.

TST said...

Jules,

I have another suggestion, besides trading, u may use your abundant creative energy to write a fiction novel. I think u have the talent. Seriously talented. Attend a short course first to guide u.

ryan said...

I'll miss you Jules. You're not an object, you're a very insightful and humorous person =) That's why I'll miss your postings.

Take care of yourself!

Let us know how you're doing every once in a while.

-ryan (cp)

Jules said...

Solfest!!
You're still around! I shouldn't have removed the "recent viewers" widget then...was afraid I'll feel sad when the funny looking creature stops appearing...

I've been sim trading my ultra powerful system...with 1 contract (I can't sim trade without money...it's like playing cards and mahjong with potato chips as prize...). No data so far, coz I haven't been using it! LOL! You're right, I should really sim trade, and get enough data to see if I can trust my system.

Jules said...

Charlie,

Thank you for dropping by. Re balance - I don't have much problem juggling life and trading, coz I haven't other commitments or interests (other than reading and writing, and so far, I've been able to do both). What I mean by balance is merely to not be so "extreme". You know, the either I win or I don't play, or I must get this right within one month, or things are either black or white, right or wrong kind of mentality.

I'm sure I have an easier time than you. You have a job, a new born, and probably a lot of friends that are fighting for your attention. I'm a bona fide cavewoman - the only other primitive creature that pops by is Seabloke, my little sister LOL! So, I have ALL the time to do what i like. But maybe Seabloke is right, I've not really seen sun for a long time, and perhaps that's why my brain's degenerating :-)

Jules said...

LT,
My heart and every cell in my body told me I should do what doesn't annoy me. Ok, that's my brother's script. I asked him about the criteria he uses to pick a wife, and he says "she must NOT annoy me". Hahaha....

I like trading, LT. I can't imagine what life would be like without my charts. I probably wouldn't even want to get out of bed. :-)

Jules said...

JE,
thank you for the kind note. It's more disappointment than pain. I'm thoroughly disappointed with myself. I'm taking too long to get back on my feet and I keep wondering what's holding me back. Yes, it's a journey full of obstacles, and I wonder if I'll ever get there...

Jules said...

UF,
2am? You must be playing online poker, or writing your 2-3am thoughts :-)
"hope it all work out" is good. Although "hope you'll earn a million by end of this year" would be much, much better!! LOL!
Thanks for dropping a note :-)

Jules said...

Waiting Trader (still waiting to trade TF? :-)),

I'm still watching the market. I watched the market throughout the US session yesterday :-) I can't seem to tear myself away from my charts!
I don't use trailing stop coz I always watch my position when I'm in trade. But you're right, I might give it a shot, so I can lookout for new setups :-)

About writing a book - yes, I've actually given it a thought. I've wanted to write a book on being an empowered woman, and also fictions for children. I've always loved Enid Blyton - the magic faraway tree, the naughtiest girl in school, etc - so me :-) But ever since Harry Potter came out, I've lost the interest. Competition LOL! Seriously, I will write a book one day. Right now, I've got my focus on trading still. It's my no. 1 love still :-)

Jules said...

Sage,
I thought that God has a plan for me like He does for everyone else. And I don't think too much about what I've chosen to do coz I thought if it's my heart that's wanted to do it, then it must be because God wants me to. It's difficult to not wonder why then is the journey so bumpy. Then I remember that if it's easy, I would have learned nothing, and I would have no story to share, and others wouldn't have a chance to learn through my mistakes.
You bet I'll be writing. There're 2 things I can't stop doing - trading and writing :-)

Jules said...

Ryan,
that's a lovely note :-) yes, I'm a silly person. I get laughed at a lot - didn't know that's being humorous LOL!
Oh, you bet you'll continue to read about my complaints and things that annoy me :-)
I was just about to post snapshots of IB's screwup, but thought I'll give them a break. They logged me out 4 times in 2 hours yesterday, and showed me 10-digit figures for my unrealized loss. Nice.

seabloke said...

It's time to write about frivolous everyday affairs now. Soon you'll be back writing about trades. But at least you'll know then that you had a good break.

You are attention-deficit - you can't roll in rut long enough. So time out - have kopi with ah moi!!

Jules said...

Sea,
I'm already out of my rut. My 24hour break is over, and you'll be reading my boring trading stuff again, probably later today. LOL!!!