Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Talented Musician With Rain Man's Disorder

When I was younger, I had taken electric organ lessons at Yamaha. For 10 years, I spent almost 5 hours there every Saturday (I had to wait for Seabloke and Pilot whose classes were in different slots), until I left for Canada at 16.

There was this teenager - probably 17 to 18 years old then - who played at the show room almost every week. Very talented guy who suffered from an illness I didn't understand then - he had this constant muscle spasms and he would yell at anyone and anything that got close. I've never seen him interact with anyone the normal way. He just played the organ, and he played it beautifully, even when he was playing furiously.

Just got word from Seabloke that he's been caught trafficking 1.3kg of heroine. In Singapore, if you're found with that much heroine, you're a dead man. But he was caught in Taiwan.

I actually hope he's going to be ok. Life has dealt him really bad cards. I don't know what happened to him in that 20 years that I haven't seen him - I would like to think that some evil people have been using him, and that they would leave him alone now that he's been caught.

Seabloke just messaged to say that he's going to be extradited back here - our cops had followed him to Taiwan and arrested him there. He's likely to face the death penalty.

Life...can it get any more cruel?

3 comments:

sage08 said...

Yes, i read about him in the newspaper this morning and my immediate reaction was he's austistic, probably taken advantage by some syndicate as a mule.

Jules said...

Well, he surely was not normal. That much I knew. He didn't talk. He only shouted and yelled. But it's easy to tell he hadn't meant to...

seabloke said...

biggie, we read about deaths and injustice in the papers everyday but this one somehow caught my attention.

yes, he was about 18 then and even when i saw him in the papers he hasn't aged a bit. He gets my sympathy totally. In all the years we were learning organ i don't recall ever seeing his parents or anyone with him. In all the years i don't even remember anyone daring to speak to him besides the teacher.

We can only imagine what he had to go through in life, whether anyone was with him and how he coped.

As much as it angers me to think that someone made use of him because of his more "disadvantaged" disposition, it outrages me just as much to think that he may have done it knowingly, perhaps feeling pushed by society for whatever reasons, and that was his only way out.

This points us to your recent post about a grouchy singaporean. We live in a selfish place, a place where most people have absolute disregard for others.

I'm still thinking about the talented pianist. I choose to think of his talents and how he could have put it to better use. It's been a whole day since i read the news, i still feel incensed someone did this to him.